To become a wordsmith is not very difficult if you are someone who uses a rich vocabulary of words while speaking or writing. So the first step for becoming a wordsmith is to have a great vocabulary. Here are some tips that can help you in becoming a wordsmith.
- Your vocabulary can enrich only if you are an avid reader of books and do a thorough research of meaning of certain unfamiliar words that you come across while reading and also learn about their usage by observing how the authors use those words in their sentences. Reading does not only mean to go through novels. You must also read magazines, newspapers, science journals etc.
- You can also learn a lot about words by playing those word games such as word cookies. There are websites like wordcookies.info which can be of great use. In fact, if you need help with word cookies go here.
- Maintain a journal for the words that are new to you. So, whenever you come across a new word, just jot it down in your word journal which will keep a track of all the new words you learnt.
- There is no point of only gaining knowledge about words if you cannot apply them effectively in your sentences. The best way to improve your vocabulary is by using the new words in your writings. So, practice writing using the new words and gradually you will see the changes in your writings.
- Once you are done following the above mentioned steps, lastly, you have to start using words in your practical life. Thus, you need to converse with others which will help you in determining whether the new words can be put in context of your conversation. Once you are comfortable using the words while conversing, you can be considered as a wordsmith.